Cat Facts for National Cat Day!
OMG. Today is National Cat Day. Yes, CAT DAY. If you’ve been following my blog for awhile, you know that I absolutely LOVE my cat, Ursula. She is my kid, my pride and joy. I’ve had her about a year now, although I didn’t officially adopt her until December. But I did receive her and her siblings around this time.
National Cat Day started in 2005 by Pet and Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Welfare Advocate Colleen Paige. Whoo! That was a mouthful. It was created to “recognize the number of cats that need to be rescued each year and also to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their lives for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us.”
Need a gift for a cat lover? Check out this great gift guide!
I decided to make you a giant list of cat facts. I get bored and look things up about my cat. Now you only have one list to read, unlike me reading 100!
- There are more cats than dogs in the USA, 73 million cats to 68 million dogs
- A cat sleeps about 16 hours a day
- Cats are asleep 2/3rds of their life
- The grey matter in a cat’s brain is similar to a humans
- Cats have built in gps and can find their way home if they get lost
- Cats have both an undercoat and outercoat
- Female cats can have between 3-7 kittens every 4 months!
- Cats tend to like women better than men
- Cats are allergic to cows milk
- Cats tend to live around 14 years, but can live up into their 20s.
- 10% of a cat’s bones is in their tail
Read this before you buy your next cat toy!
- Cats spend around 5 hours a day cleaning themselves
- Cats take 20-40 breaths a minute
- Cats can make over 60 different sounds
- A female cat can start mating anywhere between 5-9 months old
- A male cat starts mating between 7-10 months
- A cat is pregnant between 58-65 days
- Cat has 500 skeletal muscles
- Cats have 30 teeth
- Cats cannot see directly under their nose
- Cats can jump 5 times their own height
- Cats cannot taste sweet
- The barbs on a cats tongue is made of keratin, the same thing fingernails are made of
- Cats can see 6x better than humans at night
- Cats can run about 31 mph
- Cats have 32 muscles in each ear
- Chocolate can kill your cat
- Cats can hear better than dogs
- An average meal to a cat is the same of 5 mice
- Cats almost never meow at other cats, only humans
- Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, or 26 cycles per second
- Cats only have 473 tastebuds, compared to humans who have 9000
- In ancient Egypt, cats were revered as sacred, helpful and lucky
- In the middle ages, black cats became associated with witchcraft
- Black cats are good luck in Japan
- There are 19 breeds of black cat
- A group of cats is called a clowder
- Stubbs, the mayor of Talkeenta, Alaska, is a cat
- Cats can taste-sense the air
- Owning a cat can reduce your chance of a stroke and heart attack by a third
- The biggest cat ever was 48.5 inches long
- The worlds riches cat is $13 million years old
- Cats can recognize their owners voice
- Female cats are usually right-pawed while males are left-pawed
- Cats have a longer-term memory than dogs
- But, cats have a lower social IQ than dogs
- Pope Innocent VIII order the killing of cats in the 15th century
- Abraham Lincoln had 4 cats while in the White House
- When Mary Todd Lincoln was asked what her husbands hobbies are, she replied “cats”
- Isaac Newton invented the cat door
- When cats don’t cover their poop, it is a sign telling you they don’t fear you
- Cats can change their meow to sound like a baby cry in order to manipulate a human
- Whiskers are used to measure space
- Cats can only sweat through their foot pads
- Cats can move their ears separetly
- A cats nose is just as unique as a human fingerprint
- A cat rubs against things to mark it as theirs
- Most cats don’t like water because they can’t stay warm when wet
- The Egyptian Mau is the older breed of cat
- When a cat brings you a dead animal, it is trying to show you that you suck at hunting
- The largest litter of kittens was 19
- Only 88% of cats in the US are fixed
- Only 24% of cats who go to a shelter are adopted
- Cats are big jerks
Looking to adopt a cat? Check out petfinder.com! Go! Now!
Where did I get my info?