National Paperback Book Day
It is National Paperback Book Day!
I love to read. I’ve been reading since I was tiney-tiny. I would participate in the summer program at the library every year and read like 20 books a week. I would pick a theme every summer. One summer I read all about every country possible. Like five or six books each on one. I was 100% a nerd child. But a smart nerd child.
As such, books have always been a part of my life. Today is definitely a day for me to celebrate.
I’ve collected some cool facts about books for you fabulous readers.
- The first public library in America was opened in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1698.
- J. J. Audubon’s The Birds of America, published in 1840, is the most valuable book in the world. It sold for $8,802,500 in March 2000—the highest price ever paid for a book
- Paperback books first appeared in the United States around 1845. They virtually disappeared when the Copyright Act of 1891 banned the reprinting of English titles in paperback form. The books reappeared in 1936, when Allen Lane’s Penguin Press, an English publishing house, started to publish them again. By about 1980, about 70% of the books published in the U.S. are paperbacks.
- The first book bought on Amazon was called Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought.
- ‘Bibliosmia‘ is the enjoyment of the smell of old books.
- People in India are the world’s biggest readers, spending an average 10.7 hours a week.
- The Harry Potter books are said to be the most banned in America because of religious complaints.
Fun fact: I wasn’t allowed to read Harry Potter at first. I had a friend at school who let me borrow her books. I hid them in my room and read them when I could. My mom caught me one day as I very terribly and unsubtly tried to hide it under my covers as she walked in. But of course I was caught. My mom finds out everything.
I haven’t read a ton lately. School gets in the way of that. What I have read is the Wayward Pines trilogy. It is seriously so good. Much, much better than the tv series.
The other book that I’ve read is the Martian. There is a movie coming out soon based on the book. It is about a guy who gets stuck, alone, on Mars. He has to figure out how to survive. It’s very sciency, but I still liked it.
So what have you read lately?